One of the questions we are often asked or discussing with our clients. Here are our thoughts in our latest ‘Can I claim…..’ article.


If you are self-employed you can either calculate a proportion of your household bills or alternatively use HMRC’s simplified flat rate, which is based on the number of hours worked from home. Our use of home calculator can be found here: //

HMRC’s flat rate doesn’t include telephone or internet expenses. You can claim the business proportion of these invoices by working out the actual costs.

You can only use simplified expenses if you work for 25 hours or more a month from home.

Hours of business use per month Flat rate per month
25 to 50 £10
51 to 100 £18
101 and more £26



You can’t claim any tax relief if you choose to work at home.  However, you may be able to claim tax relief for some of the bills you have to pay because you have to work at home on a regular basis.

Your employer can pay you up to £4 a week (£18 a month) to cover your additional costs if you have to work from home. You won’t need to keep any records. For larger payments, records must be kept to substantiate the claim.

If your employer doesn’t pay you the £4 per week, you can make a claim for the tax relief with HMRC. You can check whether you can make a claim here: //


if you would like to discuss your own personal circumstances, then please call us on 01865 379272 or complete our online form here.


Sage Accountant Partner Logoiris kashflowFreeagent